Predictably enough, the containment dome that BP attempted to put in place over the spewing oil vent on the ocean floor has failed, and failed miserably. And if the situation weren't so grave, BP's response would be hilarious:
"I wouldn't say it's failed yet," BP chief operating officer Doug Suttles said. "What I would say is what we attempted to do ... didn't work."
BP officials said it would be at least Monday before they decide on what the next step to take would be. It took two weeks for engineers to hastily build this box and three days to bring it to the site. As predicted by many experts (including us), it didn't work. Frozen methane hydrate formations (referred to ominously in some press reports as "icelike crystals") rapidly built up on the surface and clogged the works.
The Deepwater Horizon oil-drilling rig exploded on April 20, killing 11 workers, about three weeks ago. Since then, approximately 210,000 gallons of crude a day has been flowing into the Gulf - and some estimates are placing the quantity much higher.
A group of BP corporate executives were on the platform when the incident occurred, and many were injured. Ironically, they were gathered there that day to celebrate the historic technological achievement they were undertaking, as well as pat themselves on the back for their safety record.
The Obama administration has vowed that BP will pay in full for the global mess they have caused, but most citizens are skeptical. After all, Obama also vowed to close the Guantanamo Bay detention camp.
Photo: Sindh Today.